Thursday, May 9, 2013

Reading pages 43-55



Somethings that I found interesting in the story was the part where it said "this piece tells a story half a century old". It got me excited to read the passage and learn more about the untold story of Pearl Harbor. In the story Alfred Preis stated "When they took the wedding ring away from me I broke down". I found this terrible and it made me think about the little things that happen in war. People don't realize what those men who go and fight for our country. Obviously people die, but some people who make it out are permanently scared for life. I agree with when Dotson told use about gobbledygook and how it confuses people. I think that if we take out the clichés and gobbledygook like he said it will create a stronger story that isn’t as confusing. As a writer the things that I will take out of this story will be his way of adding important information. He adds very important information with out even really trying. So what I am going to take out of this is that every little bit of info can have a big effect on my stories.

 

The story about the 11-year old boy who made the $50,000 shot and how he did the right thing incorporated many of Dotson’s aspects that we read about. I think first and for most the biggest aspect was surprise. Two examples of this were one when the boys didn’t ever think that they would be called to take the shot. I was surprised that Nick’s name was called but Nate ended up taking the shot for his brother. I also thought another surprise in this story was when the boys wanted to give back the $50,000 because they felt it was wrong that the other twin took the shot and they lied. Another aspect that I found in the story that correlated with what we learned was when we learned about defeating the TV remote. I think that this story was clear and accurate and kept the reader wanting to learn about the story. The story had many little details that kept the reader intertwined and wanting to read on and not quit the article in the middle.

 

In the story, End of a 12-son football dynasty for Minn. Family, I think that the main things that was done really well in this story was that it had the ability to defeat to the TV remote control. While I was watching this video there wasn't a moment that I wanted to turn it off. It had me intrigued the entire time. The story was unique and heartwarming enough to keep the audience captivated. There also was an element of surprise in the story. Yes, I was expecting there to be 12 sons, but I was not expecting them to all have play football for the same high school. Meaning that that family has had 24 consecutive seasons of football in their family, which is unbelievable at first, but really intriguing and unique.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment